Career Change Advice
Career Change Advice Helps Changing Career Changing career is a bold move that will certainly…
It is never too late to change your career.
Do not be afraid of a midlife career change, hundreds of thousands of people across the world do it. More and more, in today’s modern world, people are choosing lifestyle and realizing they can have the job they have always dreamed of.
Many people dream of changing career, are unhappy in how they make a living. Work and career is an important part of your life so you deserve to be doing something you enjoy. After all, you spend at least 40 hours a week working.
The best way to know if you should change your career is to ask yourself if going to work makes you happy. Many would say that being happy at work does not matter as long as you are making a living. That may be true on one level, but many people drag themselves to work and are absolutely miserable.
Making the decision to make a midlife career change may sound easier that it actually is. It can be too easy to stay in the job you are already in, stuck in a rut, and comfortable with what you already know.
If you really want to change your life, then you can. Stop daydreaming and take action now before you find yourself retiring from a job that makes you miserable.Deciding to make the change is the most difficult part of changing your life. You need to beat the fear of the unknown.
If you had the choice to change your career, what is it you would like to do? You need to know yourself. Think back to when you were young, and remember what you wanted to be when you grew up. Three steps to knowing yourself:
1. Take a pencil and a large piece of paper and divide it into three. In one part write down the words you use to describe yourself.
2. In the next section write down the words your family and friends use to describe you.
3. In the third section of the paper write down all the words you would like used to describe you in the future; for example, articulate, sincere, funny, supportive, a good friend.This will give you a clear picture to start from.
A midlife career change is about being true to yourself.Now is the time to investigate all the possibilities open to you, and do not be negative about anything unless you just do not want to do it. Here are some things to keep in mind when considering a career change:
• What is your current job and why do you want to change it?
• Write lists of what you love and hate to do.
• Be brutally honest with yourself about what you are good and bad at.
You can learn to do almost anything you love, but it is difficult to be good at something you hate.
Do not just quit your current job because you are embarking on a midlife career change. You need to fully investigate your options and what skills and higher education you may need. Things to consider as part of your career change plan include:
• What do I need to learn?
• What are my skills?
• How will I finance a career change?
• How long will it take to get the skills and make the career transition?
You need to plan any career change as you have financial and family commitments you need to keep up with.
Plan for your long term future. Get on the internet and search your ideas, take aptitude and intelligence tests to help you narrow down your choices. You may need to go back to studying to learn the skills you need.
If you need to go back to school, how will you finance this and how long will it take?
You probably have a good idea already about the types of the things you would like to do. This is a good place to start finding the new career you will love to wake up to every single day for the rest of your life.