Pre Employment Drug Test
Measures your Employment Suitability In the modern, Western world you can expect to take a…
If you want to be a professional in the civil service for your government, then you need to pass the civil service test. Many professional government careers require that you pass an entry exam, and there will be different tests for civil service to get entry into different areas of the civil service. The questions measure your general academic knowledge as well as your specific knowledge about the job you are applying for.
People employed in the civil service are known as civil servants as they are employed either by the state, federal or local government in various areas of service to the community. The words ‘civil service’ also applies to a specific department where it sets its own employment requirements and standards. Different departments write their own entry level tests to ensure that new employees meet their individual standards.
The civil service test measures your basic mathematics skills, and may also measure your advanced mathematical skills, depending on what type of job you are applying for. For example, for an accountant, high level mathematical aptitude and skills are imperative to your job function but your math skills may not be so important if you want a career in law enforcement.
Language skills are also an important part of the test as it is important for all civil servants to be able to communicate at a high level. You need to have a good grasp of English and your basic languages skills are measured in every civil service test. You should have a good grasp of grammar, be able to spell, and demonstrate that you can comprehend what you read.
If you want a job in law enforcement or as an accountant in the civil service, part of your test will address the job requirements specifically. For example, if you are applying to become a police officer questions will address things like ethics and questions about general law enforcement in your state. Or if you want a position as an accountant, then your test will address the complexities of accounting.
Other things a civil service test will touch on include your attitude to customer service, how you logically complete tasks and make decisions under pressure.Almost all civil service jobs require some level of interaction with the public so it is important you have an excellent communication skills.
You usually have time to prepare for your civil service test as you have to register ahead of time. The test can either be administered directly by the civil service hiring human relations department or by an agency on its behalf.Tests for civil service are often held on a regular basis but are also held to fill specific positions.
Here are some tips to help you prepare for taking the civil service test:
1. Find appropriate guides that help you study for the specific civil service job you want. Start studying for your desired position as soon as you decide you want to sit the test.
2. Apply for the appropriate test and make sure your application is accurately completed. Your application is often taken into consideration when assessing your completed civil service test. Your application is assessed to see if you meet the minimum requirements for the career you want to pursue. If you pass the minimum requirements you will receive notification of a date to sit the test.
3. Do not study the night before the test. Get a good night’s sleep.
4. On the day of the test take a good breakfast and dress as a professional. Arrive at the test site at least 15 minutes early. Make sure you have any relevant paperwork with you; a couple of pencils and an eraser; and photographic identification.
5. Make sure your cell phone is turned off.
6. Before you answer the questions make sure you read the instructions carefully. Answer all the ones you find easy first and leave the others until the end. This makes sure you answer as many questions as possible and have time to spend more time on the ones you find more difficult.
If you have done your preparation well, and stay calm and focused throughout the test, you have a good chance of passing with flying colors.